Tuesday 4 September 2007

education again. whats new

STFORUM

Sep 4, 2007

Direct entry scheme at RGS 'very stressful' I AM writing this letter out of frustration from my daughter's stressful experience in the recently completed direct school admission (DSA) programme at Raffles Girls' School (RGS).

My daughter applied under the maths talent route and sat for the first phase (psychometric test) in late June. Subsequently, she was short-listed for the maths programme on July 14. When, after about a month, we did not hear from the school, I asked via e-mail if my daughter would be short-listed for the interview.

Even a negative reply would have been appreciated as she could concentrate on her prelims. I did not get any reply at all.

So, we waited on tenterhooks. My daughter asked me every day if RGS had replied, and I had to disappoint her every time. Then, two days before the end of the interview period last week, as we were about to give up hope, I received an e-mail from the school inviting her to an interview the very next day.

My poor daughter, who had her prelims that week, had less than a day to prepare the required speech about herself, as well as read up on the school. She had to forgo revising for her science prelim paper the next day.

Due to the short notice, I had to cancel important appointments, at great inconvenience and cost to myself, to take her to the interview.

Our efforts proved futile last Thursday when I got a mass e-mail about her unsuccessful application. I was shocked as my daughter told me her interview went smoothly and all she did was reiterate what was already in her application. I asked the school for an indication where she had fumbled, but so far have not received any reply.

Parents who are considering the DSA at RGS, consider these odds: Of about 700 girls who applied under maths, about 30 were short-listed. Of these, fewer than 10 (possibly including foreign students) were granted an interview. If I had known these odds, I would never have subjected my daughter to such emotional upheaval.

Maria Loh Mun Foong (Ms)

No comments: