Wednesday 26 September 2007

Why of all things i adore felines

its funny. in the darkest recesses of my mind i can pull out an image of one of my first impressions of cats. a white fella with pinkish eyes. it was at cuppage food centre back in the eighties. back then it wasnt the shithole it pretty much is now- it had decent food (i guess, judging from the crowds), and was a hot hawker centre with little ventilation and strays runnin around it.

so i stuck my hand out and the bugger clawed me, leaving a mark on my right hand.

of course it may not have been a pounce but a friendly gesticulation, but it scared the shits out of me.

so much for childhood trauma.

perhaps it was seeing them so much at hawker centres and around the neighbourhoods, or just looking at their furry coats, or the expression in their eyes as they looked up at you pleadingly, mewing for food. some might associate them with dirtiness, but somehow these struck a chord in my soul. reaching out and stroking those animals made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

i still love them today. dirty strays may they be, but to me all cats are beautiful. they are the greatest, cutest, most adorable living things i have ever seen.

No comments: